Wednesday, September 24, 2008

1 John Chapter Three

Read Today's Passage

It is interesting how John keeps using love and sin throughout the book so far. Each time he brings up sin it is to point out that a person who willingly sins is not showing love for God. In fact, here John calls those who willingly sin children of Satan, not of God. But what exactly does he mean in verse 9 when he says that anyone born of God cannot sin?

And then he takes it even further by saying that we need to do more to love than just say that we love. We need to show it through our actions. And if we don't show it? We do not love. And if we do not love? We are not children of God. Wow. Tough stuff.

A side note: 1 John 3.16-19 is among the most impacting passages on my life.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Nancy D said...

I have a problem with this section 'if you have possessions and see another who has needs and have not pity you are not of God." I see an awfully lot of folks who know how to manipulate the system. To get everything they can handed to them and then get upset if they can't get more. I HAVE NO PITY ON THEM! In fact, they can really irritate me. So dows that mean that I am not 'of God" Didn't Jesus get mad at those who were manipulating the system and making a profit in the temple? What do you say?

Brett said...

I feel the same way about abusers of the system (especially welfare fraud). Manipulating the system and outright selfishness when we have tons are the same thing in my mind, and I am reasonably sure that God feels the same way