Thursday, October 16, 2008

Habakkuk Chapter One

Read Today's Passage

There is something different about Habakkuk. Instead of a book full of just the oracles of God to (or against) His people, we get to see the conversation between Habakkuk and God. Habakkuk laments to God, and I feel like I am reading the Psalms when I read Habakkuk's first complaint. In fact, I am fairly certain that there is indeed some overlap. Was Habakkuk speaking merely from His heart or was there some intent to use David's writings in his complaint to God?

It also amazes me to see that God flat-out tells Habakkuk that He is going to use a godless people to carry out His plan. The Babylonians are actually going to be used by God, even though they are not God-fearing people! Kind of ruins the cliche of "God can't steer a parked car" doesn't it?

And I have to say that I love verse 13. "Your eyes are too pure to look upon evil..." That is the type of God that I want to serve. One whose perfection is all-encompassing. Not an imperfect God who stumbles just as much as I do.

No comments: